3970 Will Rogers Dr, Apt 8
San Jose, CA 95117
+1 650 605 3302
IT and Engineering Consultant
|San Mateo, CA
February 2015 - January 2020
- Engineering contributions included developing system and network diagnostic code for Leeo Smart Alert safety product. Built utilities to test for and attempt repair on non-functional network conditions as well as handling other common faults.
- Took over all IT functions and assisted with most DevOps functions. Replaced and augmented most corporate IT infrastructure during HQ move from Palo Alto to San Mateo, rolling out numerous new IT functions in the process, including Zoom video conferencing, conference room VOIP phones, and remote access VPN.
- Implemented streamlined development workflow, supporting documentation, and corresponding Jira workflows. Additionally introduced and led Five Whys process for critical failures.
- Managed projects and business relationship with outside development agency to validate that product development metrics were being met.
IT Engineering Manager
|Palo Alto, CA
April 2010 - December 2014
- Responsible for managing all internal IT teams at Palantir outside of Help Desk and Information Security. Teams included Unix Services, Microsoft Windows and Core Applications, Network Operations, and IT Purchasing.
- Grew IT Engineering team from 4 to 24 members, including two leads. Conducted initial screens, trained up recruiting team members and screeners, evolved screening process to include hands-on exams as appropriate for roles. In addition, trained ICs on interviewing goals and techniques.
- Maintained emphasis on investment in staff as our most valuable asset. Mentored team leads and ICs to position them for success and career growth while fulfilling team and business needs. 360 reviews showed continual year over year improvement of team effectiveness and morale as viewed from both within the team and by customers.
- Reworked maintenance and service outage process and schedule to improve visibility of impact to end users in advance of outages, as well as improving length and effectiveness of weekly, monthly, and quarterly downtime windows.
- Prior to shifting focus to full-time management, worked on standard internal IT infrastructure building and maintenance.
Senior Systems Administrator
|Mountain View, CA
May 2007 - November 2009
- Built two moderate-sized (100 nodes, 60 nodes) compute clusters used
for genetic base calling and assembly. Installed and configured Sun Grid Engine
for job management on one of the clusters (the other used a home-grown
scheduler). Nodes were 16 and 64GB eight-core systems comprised of SuperMicro
1U systems and HP Blades and SL-series nodes, all running CentOS 64-bit. System
initialization was done with customized Kickstart scripts set up for unattended
- Set up and maintained over 1PB of NAS-based storage based on an
Isilon cluster and home-grown 48-disk FreeBSD + ZFS systems. Worked with
vendors to investigate performance bottlenecks in NFS and CIFS-based file
- Migrated our early storage and compute clusters to colocation space
at Savvis after creating cost models of in-house data center construction
versus retail colocation. Worked with colocation facilities and brokers to find
the best available space and pricing both for colo space and for a 10gbps
dedicated fiber link between corporate headquarters and the remote data
- Hired and managed two junior administrators responsible for
application rollout, SQL database maintenance, host provisioning, system and
process documentation, and many corporate IT functions.
- Wrote automatic host configuration utility utilizing shell
script wrappers around h2n and other utilities for the purpose of creating
a simple tool usable by any member of the Production staff. Newly-purchased
systems had MAC addresses entered into a text file and one script run
handled all hostname, IP, and MAC address manipulation.
- Performed other IT functions as required to maintain a
rapidly-growing startup company environment. Tasks included implementation
and management of monitoring suites (Groundwork, Nagios, Ganglia), Perforce,
Bugzilla, directory services (AD, NIS), Vmware instances, intranet site
|PROMPTU SYSTEMS CORPORATION / AGILETV
|Menlo Park, CA
May 2004 - May 2007
- Built and supported field trial systems for the Promptu Voice Search
product; systems are a NAS-based Linux cluster built on commodity x86-based
hardware using a customized RHEL-derived Linux distribution. Tasks included
traveling to customer sites and integrating our system into their
Motorola-based cable headends and solving networking issues based on customer
network topology. The role required continuous communication with customers
prior to, during, and following installs for ongoing support.
- Supported and demonstrated laptop-based mini-engines for industry
trade shows, including NCTA, SCTE, and CableLabs.
- Systems integration work comprised of installing and debugging the
many components of the Promptu product prior to QA hand off, as well as
providing input for future releases of the product in terms of becoming more
easily built and supported in deployment scenarios.
- IT responsibilities included managing the entire Menlo Park office's
IT infrastructure, including the standard core services (email, web,
networking, VPN/remote access, desktop support)
Manager, Storage Infrastructure
Mountain View, CA
July 2001 - July 2002
- Migrated central Oracle database from SAN based storage (Veritas
Volume Manager, Sun T3 hardware) to a Network Appliance filer cluster with data
spanning eight volumes. Technical project aspects included building filer
systems, benchmarking and testing full system performance as well as creating
scripts to automate Oracle backups using Network Appliance file system snapshot
technology. Managed engineering and support staff from Sun, Network Appliance,
and Cisco to diagnose and remedy performance bottlenecks in both hardware and
- Built and managed over 30 TB of clustered Network Appliance based
storage that housed nearly all of Perlegen's data, including volumes for
standard IT services, aforementioned Oracle database, wafer image scans, user
data directories and development areas.
- Designed corporate-wide backup strategy to back up core IT systems,
Oracle, network infrastructure, IP voice systems, desktop and laptop end user
stations using a combination of Veritas NetBackup DataCenter, Veritas NetBackup
Professional, BackupExec, Cisco utilities for Call Manager and Unity Voice
Mail, and scripts developed in house.
Manager, Network Operations
Redwood City, CA
April 1999 - July 2001
- Managed a team of six personnel whose primary areas of
responsibility included Telco (local voice and data circuits, local PBX
administration), WAN connectivity, site-to-site VPN for all global offices, WAN
and DMZ network security, and all LAN connectivity. Additionally, NetOps
supported many critical core services, such as Network Appliance filers used as
primary data storage, data backups and restoration, internal and external name
service (DNS), as well as external mail relays running postfix and sendmail.
NetOps also maintained network monitoring and utilization tracking and trending
systems, primarily using MRTG, SNMP agents, and other freely-available
- Managed all major NetOps initiatives, vendors, and
- Built Kana's Redwood City LAN using Extreme Networks switches and a
gigabit ethernet backbone, and set up BGP routing on the WAN side between a
Qwest DS3 and a Sprint T1 using a Cisco 3662 router.
- Strong UNIX and e-mail expertise were heavily utilized as escalation
for Development and QA teams. Built and maintained several Linux, FreeBSD, and
Solaris test mail servers to facilitate product development and
- Provided primary architecture and support of Kana Online (KOL)
network and back-end infrastructure, including the network switches, firewalls,
mail and DNS servers. Performed identical function for Kana's customer training
Mountain View, CA
November 1995 - April 1999
- Early responsibilities included installation and maintenance of
workstations and user accounts on both the UNIX and Netware networks, as well
as maintaining vital network functions such as mail, NFS, NIS, and
- Other tasks entailed administering the private FTP server for
corporate customers and partners, and assisting with a rollout of SecurID as
our remote access solution. Later projects included installing and integrating
a Netscape Mail Server into our external relay environment, as well as stress
testing Netscape Mail for maximum performance capability.
- Took on postmaster responsibilities late in tenure with Netscape,
tasks included building and maintaining external sendmail relays, as well as
designing and implementing a separate mail domain and infrastructure for
Marketing to use for promotional e-mail.
January 1994 - November 1995
- Performed general systems administration tasks on a variety of
workstations and operating systems, including installation and support of
software packages, and maintenance of hardware and networking
- Designed and administrated a college wide strategy for the
restoration of PC's. Redesigned master disk image structure and provided the
PC's with network disk service from a Linux file server.
- Installed and integrated a group of DEC Alpha workstations into our
established network. Tasks included disk formatting and partitioning,
installing OSF, configuring amd, and establishing standard NFS and NIS
configuration files. Installed CDDI network cards in each of the workstations
and set up a CDDI production ring containing workstations and a GigaSwitch
- Coordinated the college's lab staff, performing such tasks as
scheduling and training of staff members in lab monitoring and basic
Technical Writing Department
June 1994 - December 1994
- Edited and documented user manuals and reference guides for a large
scale network management package (Spectrum).
- Adopted several systems administration functions, including the
maintenance of several departmental NFS servers, as well as the group's web
College of Computer Science
September 1993 - November 1995
||Algorithms and Data Structures, Computer Organization and
Design, Software Design, Object Oriented Design, Operating Systems Concepts,
References will be furnished upon request.